Now that we have our DXSpider Raspberry Pi 3 running; the ./cluster.pl launched and we are able to bring up the console, we need to make some partner links. See my previous post, Raspberry Pi 3 DXSpider installation.
But first, there is the issue of making our DXSpider Raspberry Pi 3 available on the internet.
In the last post I mentioned having a static IP. If you don’t have a static IP or fully qualified domain name, one way around that is to use a service. Take a look at No-IP, this should do the trick.
DXSpider Raspberry Pi 3 Partner Links
You can get some partners by joining the DXSpider support list. Your partner will send you a node callsign, the host and port. You’ll need to reciprocate by sending them yours. In my example this is k0pir-3, dxc.k0pir.us on port 7300. I’ve read in the DXSpider manual and I would suggest keeping it simple using just 2 or 3 nodes. Mine are on different continents.
DXSpider Raspberry Pi 3 Configuring Partner Links
I’ll post a video and Word file at the end of this article giving the full instructions. Some things to note are:
- The terms “partner node” and “adjacent node” are used interchangeably in my .docx. Meaning the callsign you get from your partner, such as k0pir-3.
- The <adjacent_node_callsign> is entered for example as k0pir-3, without the <> symbols.
- You should be able to copy and paste the scripts and commands in the .docx, however the commands sometimes will not work that way and need to be typed in. If you copy and paste a command and there is an error, please try typing the command.
- We have a couple of scripts that will remove old logs. Courtesy DO7PSL.
- We have another script that will make DXSpider run as a service. Courtesy SV5FRI.
- I install and use sysv-rc-conf to enable DXSpider service at boot.
- Backup your DXSpider Raspberry Pi 3. Buy a 32GB USB stick and back it up.
The Word document worked better for copying and pasting scripts, whereas the PDF document made problems. Here’s my Word document for configuring partner links: running-dxspider-on-raspberry-pi-3-and-configuring-partner-links.
You can buy a Raspberry Pi on Ebay
Thank you for coming by and please comment below.
73, good DX – Rich, K0PIR
Resources for this article include:
UPDATE: I discovered a constant error in /var.log/syslog: “rsyslogd-2007: action ‘action 17’ suspended, next retry is …” and followed this solution. tail -f /var/log/syslog is your friend! Logging of application errors.