My Icom 7300 HRD 6.3 is working now. Yes, I finally broke down and purchased the latest version of Ham Radio Deluxe, 6.3. I wanted FSK in Digital Master 780 and I also wanted to see what new things have been done to Ham Radio Deluxe. For one, the Icom 7300 has been added as a rig.
What else? I haven’t really noticed anything else yet, but I have only had it a few days and I’m sure there will be some other things of importance. I’m only using the rig control, HRD Logbook and DM780. There’s no need for me to use the satellite tracker or rotor control. Hopefully rotor control someday.
Icom 7300 HRD 6.3 DM780 RTTY FSK
RTTY (FSK) is very easy to setup in HRD 6.3. It only took a few minutes and I was able to transmit and receive. There always seems to be a hiccup or two with this program and Windows. I think restarting Windows and opening HRD fixes most things.
Here are a few notes I took for the Icom 7300 and HRD 6.3:
- I installed HRD 6.3 with the old version still on my laptop. It installed into a different folder under “Program Files (x86)”. I wanted to be able to uninstall the new version and go back to the old if it didn’t work out. This may not be the best way to do things, see their website for installation and migration information.
- HRD 6.3 picked of my old log right away when I logged into HRD Logbook.
- DM780 didn’t find my old macros and I wanted to start fresh anyway. I’m sure my old one’s could have been imported.
- When setting up CW, I like to use CW and not the other options. There is the option to use KY, WinKey or SSB. Since I use two cables I have the choice to use CW. CW needs the extra cable for comm port keying, just like FSK needs it.
- In FSK I use HRD for PTT and then my USB cable for the keying. The CI-V cable is used for rig control.
- I put my com port speed at 9600. It’s been the most reliable for me. I’ll test faster one’s later. Start slow, work your way up 🙂
Why use FSK and not AFSK?
When the Icom 7300 is in RTTY mode you have an excellent filter! Try using the Twin Peak Filter (TPF) in RTTY mode. There’s the sound card issue with AFSK also. When operating AFSK, you must make sure the audio going to and from the Icom 7300 is at the correct level and maintain this level.
Another thing I noticed after setting up AFSK on the 7300 is that the signal on the spectrum scope is not aligned with the signal on MMTTY (N1MM Logger). In other words when I use the 7300’s spectrum scope to tune to a signal and line it up, it’s not in the band scope of MMTTY. It’s completely outside the band scope and I have to go searching for it. Using FSK, when I tune to a signal using the Icom 7300 spectrum scope, it aligns perfectly in MMTTY’s band scope. I haven’t checked this in DM780.
Here are a couple of videos demonstrating RTTY FSK.
So what are some new things you’ve seen in HRD 6.3? Was it worth the upgrade to you?
I hope this helps. Thanks again for coming by and reading. Best wishes 73 and good DX. – Rich, K0PIR.