Well it’s easier than I thought! The Raspberry Pi WSJT-X installation that is. The Raspberry Pi 3 doesn’t take up much room at all! That’s the beauty of this little gem (See the photo). It’s about the size of a Signalink USB.
It’s a simple matter of updating your source.list and installing WSJT-X from the package and it was up and running in no time. Installing from the package is easier than compiling. Sometimes I find it worth it and other times it doesn’t make much difference.
I’ve been using WSJT-X on my Raspberry Pi. It runs very smooth and I haven’t had any glitches. I run 5 watts or 2 watts on WSPR. Less is better.
What is WSPR? WSPR (pronounced “whisper”) stands for “Weak Signal Propagation Reporter”. It is a computer program used for weak-signal radio communication between amateur radio operators. – Wikipedia
If you get a Raspberry Pi 3 and install Raspbian, this is how you can install WSJT-X.
You can buy a Raspberry Pi on Ebay.
Raspberry Pi WSJT-X, WSPR, JT65 Setup and QSO!
UPDATE 4/24/17: See this PDF file, WSJT-X Install Raspberry Pi then proceed to the bullets below.
- Set the clock to UTC and localisation settings under Preferences and Raspberry Pi Configuration.
- Connect your cables to your radio or Signalink.
- Open WSJT-X. It will be under the Sound & Video Program Group.
- Go to File and Settings. On the General tab you can enter your Station Details.
- On the Radio tab you can enter your Rig, CAT Control and misc settings (see the video). I’m using the IC-7300 and the Prolific CI-V cable.
- On the Audio tab select your Soundcard and that should do it just to get the program receiving and transmitting.
Visit WSJT-X User Guide and read the information on that page. You’ll find it very useful.
UPDATE: 3/2/2019: If you have an older version of WSJT-X, to update and run WSJT-X 2.0 you will need to upgrade to Stretch on the Raspberry Pi:
- Run “sudo apt-get update” from the terminal.
- Run “sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y” from the terminal.
- Download the latest Debian package using Chromium and install. As of this update it is wsjtx_2.0.1_armhf.deb.
- You may also need to execute the following command in a terminal:
“sudo apt install libqt5multimedia5-plugins libqt5serialport5 libqt5sql5-sqlite libfftw3-single3”
- Visit the WSJT-X User Guide if you need to copy and paste from the Chromium window on the RPi3.
Below is a short video walking you through the install and basic setup. However it shows installing WSJT-X from the GUI and not command line. If your sources.list is updated and you have run update, this is fine.
It takes a month or more to get registered on WSPR Net, so visit and get registered as soon as possible. It’s a fun site with a map of WSPR activity as well as a forum.
I hope you find this informative and useful. If you have any comments or questions, please make them below. Have a great day, best 73 and good DX. – Rich, K0PIR