What You Need to Know About Ham Radio Deluxe DM780 RTTY FSK
One thing I like about HRD and DM780 is being able to use RTTY FSK with either my Icom 7300 or Icom 7610. RTTY FSK has the benefit of using the TPF on the Icom radios.
In this latest release, Ham Radio Deluxe v188.8.131.52, I have it working again. For a long time it was either not working at all or not working very well. With the Icom 7610 it is easy. We get two virtual serial com ports. One for rig control and one for keying. I have a video on the explanation:
For the Icom 7300 I have used either two cables or used Virtual Serial Port Emulator (VSPE). I have an video on VSPE:
I have an article using two cables, Icom 7300 HRD 6.3 DM780 RTTY FSK CW.
Using two cables was always preferred by me, but since HRD will have a working and useful Panadapter someday, I suggest getting familiar with something like VSPE if you have the Icom 7300. Note: We need to use a USB cable for rig control if we want the HRD Panadapter. More on that here, Ham Radio Deluxe Panadapter
Icom 7300 and 7610 Menu Settings
What You Need to Know – DM780 Options
- In DM780 Options, the Soundcard is your USB Audio CODEC.
- For PTT choose Ham Radio Deluxe.
- Under Modes + IDs, if you want to use CW via the USB cable choose the COM port that is used for keying.
- RTTY tab, check FSK Keying Enable, the correct COM Port for keying (as above in CW) and tick the radio dial “Rigblaster PRO (TX, DTR), Icom (DTR) etc…
- Use Center at 2210 in the Waterfall. Click the “C” in the Waterfall toolbar.
- Back on the Main window click on “Reverse”. This is the correct setting for operating RTTY FSK in DM780.
What You Need to Know – Troubleshooting
Having trouble? At first RTTY FSK would key the radio, there was a long delay and then it would start sending (diddle). I remembered this problem from before and I played with the COM Port Advanced setting. Unchecking FIFO worked in the past and it worked this time too.
If it still fails, check you have the correct COM port in the DM780 Options and on the RTTY FSK tab.
Still having trouble? Restart your PC.
If you have any questions, comments or solutions, please comment below. I prefer the comment section here or in YouTube over e-mail because your comments and questions will help others as well.